Monday, September 16, 2024

Where Are They Now? Song Contest Winner Austin Sawyer Talks New Single “Roadkill Poetry,” Touring...

As luck would have it, Sawyer sat down with American Songwriter to reflect on his time since winning our 2022 Song Contest just days before the release of "Roadkill Poetry." As a result, he spoke to us about the new song as well as what he has been up to since earning his win.

"It was a huge honor and I was super excited when I got the news," Austin Sawyer said of his 2022 Song Contest win. "Funnily enough, for whatever reason the emails were going to my spam folder. So, a guy from back home who I used to play with in some writers' rounds that I hadn't heard from in several years sent me a Facebook message. He was like 'Dude, congrats on second place in the American Songwriter thing!' I was like 'Oh! Sweet!'" Sawyer recalled.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Sawyer has been on the road chasing his dream. "I went on my first co-headlining tour in August last year. We did 20-ish shows in the Southeast and Midwest. So, that was really exciting," he revealed. "I had been on tour the previous summer opening for Daniel Nunnelee across the whole country. But it was cool to take the risk to headline and see if people would show up and it was very well received," Sawyer added.

"After I did that tour, there was a bit of a lull. The music business tends to get quiet in the winter. But I recorded a new record back in early April," Austin Sawyer said. "I Went out to LA to work with Mike Viola who is a really, really amazing creative producer. He's worked with Dawes, Panic at the Disco, Andrew Bird, just all across the board. A bunch of cool people. So it was a cool opportunity to do that," he added.

"We recorded in a home studio that wasn't much bigger than a walk-in closet. We live-tracked everything in there. So, the feel of this record is very like you're in the room. That is kind of what I go for, I want it to feel as personal and intimate to the listener as possible," Sawyer said of the forthcoming album Roadkill Poetry .

More details: Visit website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Mormon TikTok Moms Are All Of Us

And yet Perry's track was a sneered-at flop , at least partly, I think, because not many ar...

Popular Posts