Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Sanya Malhotra's five-year trajectory is unprecedented in an industry not always welcoming of

From Dangal to Pagglait, every role is a challenge, every part is fresh, and doing things the easy way seems to be an alien concept.

In an interview a couple of years ago, Sanya Malhotra told me that the most adventurous thing she has ever done was riding a 350cc Bullet from Manali to Leh. Many might disagree with her on that one though, because her career has been nothing if not adventurous.

It has not been easy for the 29-year-old though. Having trained in contemporary dance and ballet, Malhotra moved from New Delhi to Mumbai after finishing college in order to participate in reality show Dance India Dance . And while she did not make it past the Top 100, she stayed back in the city of dreams chasing her own ambitions of making it as an actor. What followed was the rigour of the audition circuit and a few small gigs in commercials, both in front of the camera and also assisting behind the scenes.

Having shared screen space with another female actor in her first two films, Malhotra's first leading lady role came about a few months later with Badhaai Ho , one of the top grossing films of 2018. It is probably her safest role to date, playing the supportive girlfriend to Ayushmann Khurrana's character in a film that really was hijacked by its older cast (Neena Gupta, Gajraj Rao, and Surekha Sikri). It is easy, after all, to build a successful résumé by picking up the heroine roles in films dominated by other people – it is something most of our leading ladies in the past would do. Not so much for this generation though, as evidenced by young Malhotra. Not only did she hold her own amongst the seasoned cast of Badhaai Ho , she followed it up with what is arguably her most solid performance till date.

The Lunchbox director Ritesh Batra's Photograph (2019) was the first film Malhotra had signed after Dangal , though it ended up getting made and released only a couple of years later. The intimate story of an unlikely couple finding each other amidst the chaos that is Mumbai, made waves at the Sundance Film Festival that year. More than the film though, it was the then-27-year-old Malhotra who caught the attention of the international film fraternity. So much did she impress with her performance as the fake fiancée of a struggling street photographer Rafi (Nawazuddin Siddiqui) that The Hollywood Reporter named her as one of the five breakout talents to watch out for at the Berlin Film Festival.

(Also read: Sanya Malhotra's character in Photograph must set a precedent for layered introverts in Bollywood)

It is this drive to keep learning new things that has pushed Malhotra to foray into unfamiliar territory with every role that she picks. 2020 saw her in a couple of streaming releases. True to form, her roles in the two films are like chalk and cheese. In Ludo , she plays a young woman desperate to marry a rich man, and her on-screen chemistry with Aditya Roy Kapur hogged paragraphs in every review of the film. In Shakuntala Devi , she plays the role of the disillusioned daughter, and brings a certain amount of nuance to that troubled relationship between mother and daughter.

"It's a very complex character," says Sanya Malhotra about Sandhya, from her upcoming film Pagglait, which premieres on Netflix on 26 March.

From Publisher: Firstpost



Sanya Malhotra: Before Pagglait, I never used to be happy with my work | Entertainment News,The

Sanya Malhotra says she never thought playing Sandhya in her latest film Pagglait would have such an impact on her. The actor, who’s currently riding high on all the positive reviews the Netflix movie is receiving, said, “People are writing great characters, so it’s a great time for me to be an actor.”

With an ensemble cast including Ashutosh Rana, Raghubir Yadav, Sheeba Chaddha, Sayani Gupta, Aasif Khan, Shruti Sharma, Rajesh Tailang and many others, the movie is getting appreciation for Sanya’s performance, apart from its subtlety.

During a candid chat post the release of Pagglait, Sanya spoke about portraying Sandhya, working with a dream cast, and getting to do varied characters so early in her career.

I don’t know! I act on my intuition. Also content is the hero today. I can only thank the writers. As an actor, it’s an easy job for me to pick a nice character and go and shoot for it. If they don’t write good characters, how will I even experiment with my roles? It’ll all become very monotonous.

Starting with an ensemble in Dangal, to now playing lead roles, filmmakers are trusting you more and more with characters. How do you feel?

With Sandhya, I had doubts if I’ll be able to pull off such a complex character. But Guneet (Monga, producer) and Umesh (Bist, director) had so much confidence in me, more than I had on myself. All this is so gratifying. Firstly, to land Dangal and the way my career panned out after that has been a dream.

Pagglait is the first project where I’m not as critical about myself. Otherwise I’ve been a perfectionist, but with a negative connotation. I never used to be happy with my work.

I had heard this term. It’s used a lot in North India, with a sweet twang like – “pagla gaye ho?”. There’s nothing derogatory. But it completely changed for me after doing this film. This film is really close to my heart.

It did. I never realised while shooting, things I was learning from her. But once the shoot got over, it was very difficult to get her out of my system. I was supposed to start a film but it got pushed because of COVID. And then, during the lockdown, I got so attached to Sandhya. I realised how emotionally mature this character is. She taught me the lesson of forgiveness. And it’s very tough.

logo
From Publisher: The Indian Express



Sanya Malhotra: When I see how much love I get from people on social media, I feel 'Wow, people

She is on an enviable run. After Ludo opened to a good response in 2020 on an OTT platform, her latest web release, Pagglait, is winning praise from all quarters. Sanya Malhotra's journey till this point too, has been filled with blockbusters such as Dangal (2016) and Badhaai Ho (2018).

Ask her if she feels like a celebrity at this point, and she laughs, "No! I never feel like a celebrity. Also because I hardly step out of my house. I do not interact with a lot of people. But yes, on social media, to see how much love I get from my audience, I feel happy and gratified that 'baap re, they actually like my work!' They send me messages and comments which are really nice, dekh ke achha lagta hai."

But she does recognise the negative aspect of social media and agrees that when it comes to celebs, they are trolled both if they stay quiet or say anything on any issue.

The 29-year-old, who will be seen next in the films Love Hostel and Meenakshi Sundareshwar, is happy with the way her career is shaping up. On the response she received for Ludo Malhotra reveals the best compliment she got for her performance was given by the director, Anurag Basu, himself.

"I can't believe I worked with him. I did a commercial ad way back with him, before Dangal. He was the director, and I starred with Ranbir Kapoor. I always thought that I have performed so well, ek-do filmein toh milengi mujhe! After so many years, I got to work with him. I can't believe people loved it so much," she exclaims.

From Publisher: Hindustan Times



Sanya Malhotra on reading Kangana Ranaut's praise for Pagglait: 'My hands were shaking' |

Sanya, Kangana said, was 'soooo good'. For the former, there could never have been a bigger compliment. Ever since she made her debut with Dangal in 2016, Sanya has been confessing her admiration for Kangana and her talent.

Speaking to Hindustan Times about the moment she read Kangana's tweet, Sanya said, "She is my senior in the industry. And not just during Dangal, I used to say this in every interview, I used to say that I am huge fan. She is quite inspiring. And her praising me on Twitter was a very big news for me and my family. My hands were shaking when I read that tweet. I was like 'Oh my God, is this…?' I couldn't believe it you know. And that's really sweet of her to tweet something so beautiful. I am extremely grateful."

She is soooo good ... I am gald people are recognising her talent, I heard #PagglaitOnNetflix is doing amazingly well... so happy for you Sanya you deserve everything and much more ... lots of love to you ❤️ https://t.co/d5lVvyLbwN

From Publisher: Hindustan Times



How Sanya Malhotra Has Made A Successful Career Away From Glamorous Roles And Films Post

Dangal, being the stepping stone for Sanya Malhotra's entry into the industry was also a film with which the actress made a strong mark. From there on, it has been a journey of picking on unconventional storylines and making it her own.

She debuted with a role that had shared limelight but Sanya was pivotal enough to shine through. Her film choices post Dangal have been that of strong characters, great plots and different from what we usually witness.

Her recently released film, Pagglait where she led the film solo and it stands where it is today being acclaimed and well-appreciated because of the actress. She manages to surprise us with something new everytime.

On her release calendar, Meenakshi Sundereshwar with Abhimanyu Dasani and Love Hostel with Vikrant Massey are next!

For the last 30 days, it seems like I am on a Parineeti Chopra fest. It all started with The Girl... more

When the trailer of Sanya Malhotra's Pagglait was shared, we knew it was going to be a different ... more

Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar is finally here in theatres after a year-long wait. The film, which reun... more

From Publisher: Desimartini



Want High Chic Curl Hairstyle Like Sanya Malhotra? Know Grooming Tips | IWMBuzz

Sanya Malhotra is one of the most popular actresses in the Indian film industry. His amazing performance in Dangal has shot her to the limelight instantly. With that, she has also appeared in many other movies gradually with time.

However, within very small turns in the industry, the actress has earned immense love and popularity from the netizens in the country.

Especially her gorgeous curls, which look perfect on her. And what amazes us more is how she manages to keep her hair that beautiful with the curls intact. So here are some of the best high-chic curls look, that would help you to manage and groom your own. Take a look

logo
From Publisher: IWMBuzz



From Sanya Malhotra to Ayushmann Khurana, Celebs who faced rejection on reality shows early in



Ramprasad Ki Tehrvi Team Accuses Sanya Malhotra Starrer Pagglait Of Plagiarism!

Anyone who has watched Seema Pahwa's directorial debut Ramprasad Ki Tehrvi and Umesh Bist's Pagglait will attest that both storylines bear several similarities.

From Publisher: IndiaTimes



Celeb Spotting: Sanya Malhotra, Soha Ali Khan And Others Spotted Across Mumbai - ZEE5 News

Actors Kunal Kemmu, Soha Ali Khan, Rashmika Mandana, Sanya Malhotra, Warina Hussain, and Rakul Preet Singh, were recently spotted around Mumbai.

On a separate occasion, the star of the South Indian film industry, Rashmika Mandana, was spotted outside the office of a production house. She had donned an elegant ivory coloured dress. When the shutterbugs requested her to remove her mask for a picture, she politely declined, since it is not safe to be outside without a facemask in current times.

Also, the LoveYatri actress Warina Hussain was spotted entering the Mumbai International Airport, as she proceeded towards the boarding area. The Aiyaary actress Rakul Preet Singh was also spotted in the city, and she had donned a casual outfit – a white camisole top with loose-fitted denim. Actress Sanya Malhotra, whose latest film Pagglait recently released on Netflix, was also spotted in the city.

logo
From Publisher: ZEE5 News



Yashraj Mukhate and Jasleen Royal's rendition of Rangeela Re wows people. Watch | Hindustan Times

A video showcasing a rendition of the hit song Rangeela Re by music artist Yashraj Mukhate and singer-composer Jasleen Royal has wowed people. Shared on Instagram, there are chances the video will make you want to get out of your seat and groove.

"Here's something fun that I recorded with @yashrajmukhate. Had fun doing this and hope you'll love it!" Jasleen Royal wrote while sharing the video.

Since being shared, the post has gathered tons of appreciative comments, including responses from actors like Sanya Malhotra, Radhika Madan, and Pulkit Samrat.

While Sanya Malhotra shared three smiling emojis, Radhika Madan wrote "Uff." As for Pulkit Samrat, he shared, "Wow."

From Publisher: Hindustan Times



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Where Are They Now? Song Contest Winner Austin Sawyer Talks New Single “Roadkill Poetry,” Touring...

As luck would have it, Sawyer sat down with American Songwriter to reflect on his time since wi...

Popular Posts