Sunday, October 6, 2024

Where Are They Now? Song Contest Winner Frank Watkinson Talks YouTube Success, Having Songs...

Frank Watkinson, the 71-year-old English singer/songwriter and YouTuber took second place in the 2021 American Songwriter Song Contest with "This Could Be My Last Song." Since then, he's continued to do what put him on our radar—writing songs and performing covers for his ever-growing audience from his home in Huntington England.

"I've just been doing the same as I always do. I write songs not to be heard by anybody and I do covers and I just started putting them on YouTube," Atkinson said of what he's been doing since the Song Contest. "A couple of the covers went a bit viral. I did a cover of a Slipknot song, ' Snuff .' That's had over five million views now. Since then, quite a few of them have gone viral. There's one now taking off at the moment, I covered a Billie Eilish song . It was so simple, I never expected anyone to bother with it but her fans got ahold of it and she even posted it on her TikTok," he explained.

About entering the contest, he said, "I wrote that song and I've got a friend in America and he said he really liked it and that I should send it off to American Songwriter. So I did, not expecting to hear anything and I came in second which was quite nice."

Watkinson added, "I'm not the best guitar player. Everything is like four or five-chord songs. Simple. I'm letting people see that you can still play a song even if you're only playing a few chords."

"With me, on YouTube, you're getting honesty. I don't claim to be a singer and I don't claim to be a guitar player either. I do the best with what I've got. Of course, I've got the age on my side, I can play the old man card," he said, explaining the draw of his content.

Reference: See here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Where Are They Now? Song Contest Winner Frank Watkinson Talks YouTube Success, Having Songs...

Frank Watkinson, the 71-year-old English singer/songwriter and YouTuber took second place in th...

Popular Posts