Thursday, August 22, 2024

Palantir's Alex Karp Talks About War, AI And America's Future

In a rare in-depth interview, this billionaire man of mystery, the head of Palantir Technologies, talks about war, A.I. and America's future.

In fact, Mr. Karp, a co-founder and the C.E.O. of Palantir Technologies, the mysterious and powerful data analytics firm, doesn't trust himself to drive. Or ride a bike. Or ski downhill.

"I'm a dreamer," he said. "I'll start dreaming and then I fall over. I started doing tai chi to prevent that. It's really, really helped with focusing on one thing at a time. If you had met me 15 years ago, two-thirds of the conversation, I'd just be dreaming."

"Literally, it could be a walk I did five years ago," he said. "It could be some conversation I had in grad school. Could be my family member annoyed me. Something a colleague said, like: 'Why did they say this? What does it actually mean?'"

Mr. Karp is a lean, extremely fit billionaire with unruly salt-and-pepper curls. He is introvert-charming (something I aspire to myself). He has A.D.H.D. and can't hide it if he is not interested in what someone is saying. After a hyper spurt of talking, he loses energy and has to recharge on the stationary bike or by reading. Even though he thinks of himself as different, he seems to like being different. He enjoys being a provocateur onstage and in interviews.

Unlike many executives in Silicon Valley, Mr. Karp backed President Biden, cutting him a big check, despite skepticism about his handling of the border and his overreliance on Hollywood elites like Jeffrey Katzenberg. Now he is supporting Vice President Kamala Harris, but he still has vociferous complaints about his party.

When he donates, he said, he does it in multiples of 18 because "it's mystical — 18 brings good luck in the tradition of kabbalah. I gave Biden $360,000."

The 56-year-old is perfectly happy hanging out in a remote woodsy meadow alone — except for his Norwegian ski instructor, his Swiss-Portuguese chef, his Austrian assistant, his American shooting instructor and his bodyguards. (Mr. Karp, who has never married, once complained that bodyguards crimp your ability to flirt.)

More details: Visit website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Where Are They Now? Song Contest Winner Austin Sawyer Talks New Single “Roadkill Poetry,” Touring...

As luck would have it, Sawyer sat down with American Songwriter to reflect on his time since wi...

Popular Posts