Monday, April 26, 2021

Oscars 2021: H.E.R. aka Gabriella Wilson draws inspiration from Prince's Oscar look

H.E.R., also known as Gabriella Wilson, recently attended the 93rd Academy Awards and graced the red carpet by wearing a shimmering royal purple attire inspired by the late musician's Oscar look from 1985, when he won the Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain. It was either planned by the artist or it was a complete coincidence that she won the award under the same category in which the late musician Prince won. Gabriella Wilson chose to recreate Prince's hoodie and cape attire and even added a similar jumpsuit with cutout waist panels. She even paired her dress with her iconic round sunglasses and chose a smokey purple eyeshadow with a mauve lipstick. According to the reports by People, one of the spokespersons from the brand shared that the artist wanted the jumpsuit to feel like armour. The spokesperson added that words had such great power and it's impossible not to feel touched by the important and impactful message of strength and justice behind the song, especially given what was happening in the world at present.

During the Oscars Pre-show, she even escalated the curiosity of fans about her look and stated that it was inspired by an era and even by one of her favourite artists and further added how it was going to be iconic. She even stated that it was going to be big and also chill. She also added that she likes to be comfortable and that was her inspiration and a subtle flex. She then shared how she liked to be present and not necessarily to wow in the room.

Get the latest entertainment news from India & around the world. Now follow your favourite television celebs and telly updates. Republic World is your one-stop destination for trending Bollywood news . Tune in today to stay updated with all the latest news and headlines from the world of entertainment.

logo
From Publisher: Republic World



H.E.R. dreams of an EGOT after adding an Oscar to her shelf

LOS ANGELES (CNS) — After picking up an Oscar on Sunday night and a Grammy in March, singer-songwriter H.E.R. said she is looking toward a possible future EGOT.

Gabriella Wilson, known professionally by the initials that stand for "having everything revealed," is ambitious beyond her 23 years.  What You Need To Know After picking up an Oscar on Sunday and a Grammy in March, singer-songwriter H.E.R. said she is looking toward a possible future EGOT
H.E.R. claimed the original song Oscar for "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah"
She will still need an Emmy and a Tony Award to claim an EGOT

"There's absolutely going to be an EGOT in my future, hopefully," she said backstage after claiming the original song Oscar for "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah." She will still need an Emmy and a Tony Award to claim an EGOT.

"I'm also super passionate about acting, as well, so you may see me up here as an actress," she said.

"I feel connected to my roots. I know more about the Black Panthers because of being part of this film, so the education that it gave me, the history that it gave me is just, nothing compares to that," the singer shared.

"I feel like this is for the people. We're literally saying, as long as I'm standing, I'm going to fight for you, and I've been given this platform, and now an Oscar stage, to share a message and to really speak my own truth."  Related Stories 'Nomadland' wins Best Picture, Zhao makes history in COVID-altered Oscars
Director of Pixar's 'Soul' says cultural representation is key

"I'm so thankful to be standing next to these two. I'm still speechless ... I'm still pinching myself," H.E.R. said.

Beyond the movement for racial equity, the singer said she was gratified for the chance to show young girls a world of possibility.

"Me just being up there is a message. It's a message to all the young Black and Filipino girls, Black or Filipino, that you can be up here too. What you say matters, what you sing matters, what you play, what you write, it matters. It's a reflection of who we are," she said. "I'm just happy to represent ... I just hope that there's another little girl out there, whoever, going, `I can do that too, I can be up there, too, one day.' "

logo



Vallejo star H.E.R. remains on a roll with big Oscar victory

The Vallejo R&B artist’s latest triumph came in the form of an Oscar, as H.E.R. and her fellow co-writers — Dernst Emile II ("D'Mile") and Tiara Thomas — won the best original song category with "Fight for You" at the 93rd annual Academy Awards on Sunday night in Los Angeles.

The first big highlight came in February, when the Vallejo artist — born Gabriella Wilson — delivered an amazing version of "America the Beautiful" before Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs squared off against Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Super Bowl Sunday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.

From there, H.E.R. — whose platinum-selling self-titled debut was released in 2017 — was up for a Golden Globe for best song for a motion picture with "Fight for You.” It ended up losing to "Io Si."

In March, the Bay Area artist toppled such industry heavyweights (and supposed favorites) as Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Billie Eilish and Post Malone to win song of the year with "I Can't Breathe” at the Grammy Awards .

The victory came as a major surprise to many, given that “I Can’t Breathe” wasn't a big commercial hit like some of the nominees — especially Swift's and Malone's massive chart toppers — as it only reached No. 20 on the R&B charts.

"Oh, my gosh. I don't even know what to say," H.E.R. said at the start of her acceptance speech, quickly deciding that the best move was to share the honor with her fellow nominees. "I think the first thing I want to say is that I have never been so proud to be an artist. Everybody else who was nominated — those songs were, to me, song of the year also. And they were all amazing."

logo
From Publisher: The Mercury News



H.E.R. Wins Best Original Song at the 2021 Oscars | PEOPLE.com

"Fight for You" from Judas and the Black Messiah won the Oscar for Best Song and beat out music from four other films, including songs from The Trial of the Chicago 7 and One Night in Miami…

"Fight for You" from Judas and the Black Messiah won the Oscar for Best Song at the Academy Awards this Sunday.

"I did not expect to win this award. I am so, so, so grateful, not only to win but to be a part of such an important story," singer H.E.R., whose real name is Gabriella Sarmiento Wilson, said in her acceptance speech.

RELATED: H.E.R. Says Oscar Nomination for Best Song Is 'Icing on the Cake': It's the 'Process' I Love

"Musicians, filmmakers, I believe we have an opportunity and a responsibility, to tell the truth, and to write history the way that it was, and how it connects us to today, and what we see going on in the world today. I have no words, I'm so, so thankful," H.E.R., 23, continued.

Ending her speech on an inspirational note, she added, "Knowledge is power, music is power, and as long as I'm standing, I'm always gonna fight for us. I'm always gonna fight for my people and fight for what's right, and I think that's what music does, and that's what storytelling does."

"What's crazy about music is; music influences people," she said. "It's like timestamps. It helps so much when it comes to history and explaining what's going on. It's a language that everybody speaks."

When the 23-year-old musician was tapped to write music for Judas and the Black Messiah , she knew it wouldn't be difficult to draw from the present while honoring the past. 

"I wanted to create a universal message that represented what is still happening today and how that connects two generations. We're passing the torch and continuing on Hampton's work." the singer told Variety . 

From Publisher: PEOPLE.com



Oscars 2021: ‘Soul’ wins best score, ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’ takes

For “Soul,” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won their second Oscar in the category. Joining them for his first Oscar was jazz pianist/”The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” bandleader Jon Batiste who gave an enthusiastic shout-out to the notes in a musical scale.

“Man, you know what's deep is that God gave us 12 notes,” Batiste said. “It's the same 12 notes Duke Ellington had, Bach had. It's the same 12. Nina Simone. And all the nominees. Man, it's just so incredibly special.

The song “Fight For You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah” won best original song for performer H.E.R and her cowriters Dernst “D’Mile” Emile and Tiara Thomas.

“I am so, so, so, so grateful,” said the singer whose given name is Gabriella Wilson. “Not only to win but to be a part of such an important story.

“I believe we have an opportunity and a responsibility to tell the truth,” she continued. “And to write history the way that it was. And show how it connects us to today. And what we see going on in the world today. Knowledge is power, music is power, and as long as I'm standing I’m always going to fight for us.”

logo
From Publisher: Press Enterprise



H.E.R sheds light on her new Oscar nomination

H.E.R. (Gabriella Wilson) recently sat down for a chat and got candid about her recent Oscar nomination.

The star spoke about her accolade with host Janine Rubenstein and according to People magazine she was quoted saying, "The accolades are the just icing on the cake, it's really the process that I'm in love with."

logo



H.E.R.'s Oscars 2021 Outfit Was Inspired by Prince's 1985 Oscars Look | PEOPLE.com

The singer-songwriter, nominated for Best Original Song, wore a cobalt blue beaded hooded ensemble, inspired by the one the late icon wore to accept his Oscar for Purple Rain in 1985

The singer, who won for best original song for "Fight for You" from Judas and the Black Messiah, wore a custom look by Dundas, comprised of a cobalt blue embellished hooded cape bordered in embellished lyrics from her song over a matching halter jumpsuit with cutout waist panels and the same lyric motif on cuffs and collar.

According to a spokesperson from the brand, designer Peter Dundas "wanted the jumpsuit to feel like armor. Words have such great power and it's impossible not to feel touched by the important and impactful message of strength and justice behind the song. especially given what is happening in the world right now."

She paired the jumpsuit with her signature round sunglasses, also in an appropriate Prince-inspired hue, matching Giuseppi Zanotti heels and jewelry by Chopard . H.E.R. finished off the iconic look with a mauve lip color and a smokey purple eyeshadow.

"You've got to see it on the day of," she said. "But it's definitely inspired by an era, and also inspired by one of my favorite artists. So yeah, it's going to be, I think, iconic."

H.E.R. has previously paid tribute to the late icon with a memorable performance at the 2020 Grammys , which featured a dance solo by ballerina Misty Copeland.

The Grammy winner said that her style is "tomboy chic" and the glasses are a key part of the overall look.

"It's got to be big. It's got to be. But also chill," she told PEOPLE. "I like to be comfortable. That's my inspiration and a subtle flex. I like to be present, not necessarily to wow in the room, but present like, 'Oh, okay. All right.' The subtle flex. That's my style."

H.E.R., whose real name is Gabriella Wilson, was nominated for her first Academy Award Sunday night, eventually winning for Best Original Song for "Fight for You" from the Best Picture nominee Judas and the Black Messiah .

From Publisher: PEOPLE.com



Oscars backstage: ChloƩ Zhao explains Frances McDormand's howl

"I'm gonna avoid my phone for a bit, trust me," he added. "My mom's not gonna be very happy." But Kaluuya said he thinks his mother, Damalie Namusoke, will have a laugh, ultimately.

"She's got a sense of humor, so we give it to each other, it's cool," said Kaluuya, who was cryptic about his post-show party plans. "I'm enjoying myself, man. A couple of friends, a couple of vibes."

"I saw him on the stage, and then he called my name, I can tell he practiced a lot. He didn't mispronounce my name," she said. "That moment I got there, I lost what I was supposed to say."

"I think I blacked out for a couple of seconds," Youn added with a smile. "I couldn't believe he was leading me and that he announced my name. I'm still not myself."

"Promising Young Woman" writer-director Fennell randomly name-checked "Saved By the Bell" star Zack Morris (played by Mark-Paul Gosselaar) during her best screenplay acceptance speech. The British actress/director recalled that as a 10-year-old growing up in England, she daydreamed that Morris would be her future husband.

Fennell, who is expecting her second child with partner Chris Vernon, expressed shock that Morris' name started trending on Twitter immediately afterward – "Oh, my God, I can't believe it," she moaned.

"If Zack Morris doesn't mind this situation," said Fennell with a laugh. "I think we should just give it a go."

After winning for best original song, "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah," the musician (real name Gabriella Wilson) said there's "absolutely going to be an EGOT in my future," referring to the elusive title for those who've won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.

"I'm also super passionate about acting as well, so you may see me up there as an actress also. And I love musicals," the four-time Grammy-winner continued. "But honestly, I cannot believe that we're here."

From Publisher: USA TODAY



Oscars 2021: 7 memorable moments you might have missed - TheGrio

Regina King, Daniel Kaluuya talked about the struggles of African Americans and despite a historic number of Black nominees, they were shut out in top categories

Though the 2021 Oscars started out with a historic number of Black nominees at 27, by the end of the night, the “blackest Oscars ever,” as named by Lil Rel Howery , disappointed in its actual awards handed to Black recipients.

The night’s biggest award winners turned out to be familiar white names and not the lauded performances that were expected to make for historic wins. Nevertheless, there were several memorable moments that stood out to celebrities and fans alike. Keep reading to see theGrio ‘s take on the most unforgettable 2021 Oscars moments.

Most notably, the late Chadwick Boseman’s final performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom did not win, something that perplexed most observers, who had counted him in as he picked up multiple awards in the run-up to the Oscars, including a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild award. Boseman was considered a frontrunner, but Anthony Hopkins won instead for the role as a man battling dementia in The Father.

Viola Davis, who would have become only the second Black woman to ever win the Best Actress Oscar after Halle Berry’s 2002 win for Monster’s Ball , was also snubbed in favor of Frances McDormand in Nomadland, the eventual Best Picture. ChloĆ© Zhao, who is Chinse became the first woman of color to win Best Director and only the second female winner ever.

Politics ruled the evening as both presenters and winners referenced recent news events and the COViD-19 pandemic that moved the show from its usual venue the Dolby Theater to Los Angeles’ historic Union Station. Regina King, the night’s first presenter, kicked off the show talking about the difference in the Oscar presentation in a post-COVID world, but also in a post- Derek Chauvin verdict world.

“I have to be honest, if things had gone differently this past week in Minneapolis, I might have traded my heels for marching boots,” she said to appreciative agreement from the audience.

The mother of a grown son, King, 50, also said that his welfare in a world that views Black men as a threat is constantly on her mind.

Best Supporting Actor winner Daniel Kaluuya paid tribute to Illinois Black Panther Party Chairman Fred Hampton , who he played in Judas and the Black Messiah . He thanked Hampton’s family – Fred Hampton, Jr. and his mother, Akua Njeri , the former Deborah Johnson, who was pregnant with her son when Hampton was assassinated in his bed by Chicago police in 1969. Kaluuya had the most praise for Hampton and his work with the Black Panther Party, which he said helped him better appreciate his own self-worth.

From Publisher: TheGrio



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

$26.99—SZIVYSHI Corset Tops for Women, Bustier Shapewear Lingerie, Lace Waist Push Up Bodysuit.

SZIVYSHI Corset Top​s for Wome...

Popular Posts